Wednesday 9 February 2011

Driving us crazy

I'm sorry to sound so bourgeois, but our drivers are driving us round the bend. We've GOT to get a car.
N is no longer on speaking terms with driver No.1 after he left us abandoned by the side of the three lane highway for 45 minutes on Saturday night (he says he couldn't find us). I know
it sounds unlikely, but I swear it was freezing - at least it was 13 degrees, which is pretty cold out here.

Driver No.2 didn't turn up to take us to work twice this week, and there's definitely something odd going on with him. Some days he turns up wearing a beanie hat. On those days he is surly and uncommunicative and I think he wants me dead. Then other days he's hatless. On those days he says good morning, before becoming uncommunicative and making me think he dislikes me a bit. Perhaps he has an evil twin, or just an evil hat?

I've been advised that the best time to hire a car is a Thursday night, so that you can have Friday morning free to practise on empty roads, as Friday is the religious day out here, so people are otherwise engaged. So tomorrow I need to pluck up the courage to get myself a car.

I have a horrible feeling i'm going to come out driving a huge hulking 4x4, which is exactly what I said I wouldn't do, but the temptation is getting too great for a mere mortal like me. Every time a kind soul offers me a lift somewhere, they pull up in some big shiny monster truck and the ride is always so thrilling, I realise i've been suckered in. N's determined we're getting nothing bigger than a Honda Civic. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment