Monday 2 May 2011

What I've learnt so far

As I sit here eating cereal for dinner after another 11 hour working day, I find myself reflecting on what I've learnt these past few months. For example, yesterday I learnt that my new car has a blind spot the exact same size as a 32 seater mini bus.
I've learnt that all roundabouts in Qatar
have sensible names. Television roundabout is next to the Al Jazeera building, Decoration Roundabout is surrounded by homeware stores, Arch Roundabout has a huge arch on it and Crazy Signal, which used to be called Crazy Roundabout until they removed it for being too dangerous and replaced it with lights.
I've learnt that 38 degrees isn't as hot as you'd think it is.
I've learnt that my husband and I make rather a good team; in the work place, in a foreign land, when the going gets tough.
I've learnt that in the desert, the Bedu wear heavy layers in the heat of summer to trap the moist air to cool their skin.
I've learnt that you can get used to anything, even starting work at 7.30am every day.
I've also learnt that it doesn't matter what time we start, N and I will always arrive half an hour late. (I've actually known this for quite a long time).
I've learnt that my wardrobe is built on tights, and without them, I'm hopelessly unfashionable.
I've learn that four months is rather too long to be away from your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment