Thursday 24 November 2011

Things I did in the UK that I could not have done in the Gulf

Played 'is that a dog turd or a mouldy leaf on the pavement?' with my nephew. There are no dog turds in Qatar, or leaves (mouldy or otherwise) or pavements, or....sadly....little nephews.

Caught a cold. 

Swam in a municipal swimming pool surrounded by school kids (possible source of cold..?). Shocked by the lack of Molton Brown toiletries and
towelling robe - pleasantly surprised it only cost £4.20 a swim instead of the £30 it costs in Doha. 

Traveled on public transport in the morning rush hour with a Metro under my arm and a tall skinny cap in my hand. What bliss to know it'd be second breakfast with my sister and cuddles with my niece at the other end, not an 8 hour working day. That's the moment it sunk in that I don't work anymore.

Felt really cold, really really cold, like, cold to the bone cold. 

Kicked a cat (accident). I could kick a cat out here, but it would be a battered old feral cat and they're harder to catch. 

Ate pork. Scotch egg, sausages, pork pie, bacon roll, ham sandwich....

Went to an old people's home. I'm not sure what happens to the old people out here, maybe there aren't many, seeing as how people drive.


Went to a book shop and browsed 3 for 2 offers. I miss Waterstones.


Ate porridge. I love porridge, but out here it's all wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment