Tuesday 3 January 2012

Nocturnal manoeuvres in the dark

This baby in training seems to have inherited his mother's fidgeting and his father's love of late nights. It's cute and everything, and it's nice to have regular reminders that he's alive and kicking (literally) - but I can't sleep*. Partly because i'm being kicked in the stomach all night long, and partly because I can't help but lay awake worrying about what this says about this
boy and his post birth habits. To what degree can you predict a baby's personality in the uterus? How soon exactly does ADHD manifest itself? If i'm this tired after disturbed sleep, how exactly am I going to cope with no sleep? I'm afraid the writing's on the wall - and it reads 'you just wait'.

Continuing my new mum practise regime, I took my sleepy self to Carrefour this morning to do the weekly shop. Gripping on to my trolley for support, I shuffled zombie like down the aisles, clashing with other trolleys and careering into displays. I felt a little foolish buying snacks and juice cartons for my hospital bag already, but I like to be on top of these things. Only 7 weeks and 5 days to go... In fact, i'd better check the use by dates on my snacks and juice, just in case.


*Cue avalanche of 'you just wait' comments

No comments:

Post a Comment