Tuesday 29 March 2011

Dirty words, clean living

N and I are so exhausted at the end of each working day that we don't have the energy to do much. Perhaps a trip to the gym, or a stop off at the supermarket. Yesterday I caught the last 20 minutes of Masterchef and an episode of Glee. The fact that
the dish for the 'pressure cook off' or whatever it's called, was Pork Schnitzel made for an interesting show. Out here they can't broadcast the word 'p*rk', so every mention of the word was edited out. It made for confusing viewing.
You also don't realise how often they say the word 'gay' in Glee until it's edited out. You're basically left with the singing and a smattering of 'and' and 'the'.

To celebrate the arrival of our exit visas, N and I travelled to Dubai this weekend. I spent two half days shopping in Dubai Mall while N watched the cricket in an 'English style pub'.  It was heaven. The lack of sports coverage, booze and decent shops have definitely made us cleaner living people here in Doha. We necessarily spend the bulk of our time working, going to the gym and sorting admin. But neither of us realised how much we'd missed being our usual, waster selves until we spent time in Dubai. Now I predict regular trips to the UAE for a little taste of British style living, although we weren't too keen on the drunk and obnoxious ex pats we came across over there.  Like the old smoking carriages on trains, I like knowing it's there when I need a fix, but I wouldn't want to sit in that carriage the whole journey.

1 comment: