Saturday 19 March 2011

Dust and rubble

Today we decided to hunt for some adventure.

We found our first dose of adventure driving on the road south out of Doha. Close to the industrial area, the long road that winds through the rocky wasteland is choc-a-bloc with
trucks carting dust and rubble from one dusty, rubbly field to another dusty, rubbly field. Not exciting in themselves, they do create a veritable playground for the sort of drivers who put too much trust in their airbags. My maths isn't great, but even I can work out that driving on the wrong side of the road to overtake a convoy of trucks, plus high speed, plus blind corners, equals me dead - or at least hyperventilating as another car comes hurtling towards me. At one point traffic had to drive off road to get past a truck that had ploughed into the central reservation. Add to that the driver who'd pulled up on his way round a roundabout to take a call, and it's easy to see why i'm always so surprised to make it back alive.

Once at the singing dunes we all unleashed some pent up tension. The Chevy Blazer got to show us what it can do, making dust of the rocks and rubble, followed by some serious dune climbing by N and I. The singing dunes are an odd phenomenon because when you slide down their steep slopes, they make a sort of humming/groaning noise. It's very eery.




I have to admit i'm already getting a bit tired of dust and sand, so i was thrilled to discover a beautiful park in Al Wakra, which we drove past on our way home. It was lovely laying on the grass, smelling flowers and listening to birds singing. Simple pleasures that we take for granted in the UK. I do have a picture of the park - who'd have thought you'd find this little oasis in the desert?


Tonight we're treating ourselves to an all you can eat sushi buffet, which sounds dangerous to me, because I think I could eat A LOT of sushi. I mean tons, really. I think the restaurant is going to regret this.

No comments:

Post a Comment