Monday 19 December 2011

Expanding and shrinking

I'm shrinking! Or at least it feels that way, thanks to my latest hire car - a Peugeot 207. I remember the days of the Trailblazer - when I was king of the road in my monster truck. I considered 'downsizing' to the Kia Sportage a huge reduction in road presence - now i'm basically a sand mite in a desert of UAE 4x4s - but surprisingly I love it. I wouldn't go
dune bashing in it, but it whips in and out of the Abu Dhabi traffic like a demon. Whoops! - nearly missed my turn off? - no worries, I can weave dangerously through four lanes of traffic in a jiffy - no one will even notice. Plus parking spaces in AD aren't as generous as Qatar, so it's just as well i've gone petite...

If only I could say the same about my expanding waist. 'Petite' and 'nippy' are not words that describe me at the moment - in fact 'bloated' and 'immobile' are the words that come lumbering to mind.  I signed up with a new doctor yesterday who warned me I had already exceeded the maximum recommended weight gain for a pregnant lady - with ten weeks of growing still to go. This is not good. I have taken a few liberties at the dessert trolley - i'll admit - and maybe two dozen or so almond croissants that weren't strictly necessary, but I thought that was the whole point of getting knocked up*? Why did I go through three months of sickness and depression if it wasn't so I could gorge myself on cheesecake and crisps*? Now i'm having to gorge myself on low fat yoghurts and trail mix instead. I can tell the boy doesn't like it, his kicks have become more aggressive, almost as if he's saying 'Mum - eat some ice cream' - but what can I do? It's doctors orders. 

*As well as miracle of life etc... 

No comments:

Post a Comment