Wednesday 14 December 2011

Fun stuff I've done

It's not all form filling and suicidal driving you know - I've done some fun stuff here in Abu Dhabi. Let me tell you about it:

Pakistan v Sri Lanka Cricket
Not long after we arrived, N and I went to see the T20 cricket at Abu Dhabi cricket ground. As always, understanding the system wasn't easy and it took us two and a half hours to locate the correct ticket booth, collect our tickets and get seated in the stadium. Luckily N had misread the start time on the website and we'd turned up three hours too early - so in an unheard of twist of fate, we were sitting in our seats 30 minutes before the match started. Neither N nor I
have ever been early for anything - we felt a combination of smug and bewildered. Twenty minutes after we found a seat and settled down with our samosas and chat, the organisers did a very typical thing - they opened the gates to all the waiting people outside and flooded the stands with people. Suddenly we were in a seething, jostling mass of Pakistani and Sri Lankan men, crowding the stairs, walkways and railings. We could no longer see a thing from our seats, but the atmosphere was electric. Those guys care about their cricket, and there are so many Asian expats out here that it was like being at a match in Pakistan.

Lunch with new pregnant friend
For my first taste of being a proper expat wife, I went for (non raw) sushi with another pregnant lady. We sat outside on the terrace, in our sunglasses, overlooking the yachts. To be fair she has a job, but it gave me the chance to act the part, and very civilised it was too - think 'Eldorado'.

Joining new mums and bumps groups
A world of women ready to be your friend! People who don't get bored talking about maternity pads and  baby wipe brands! Cake eating with people who don't judge you! I have to say it's a real thrill discovering a whole world of friendly people who remember what it's like not to know anyone. There seems to be a limit to the amount of time N can spend discussing baby bouncers and moses baskets - but these ladies know a thing or two about baby equipment - thank heavens. I find these get togethers are also a source of invaluable information on other topics too - such as discovering you only get 30 days on a visit visa ("really? then what happens? Oh...you're illegal. Shit."), or that I need my marriage certificate attested by the Foreign Office before I can register to give birth at the hospital, or where you can get the best bikini wax (my never ending search). Thanks bumps group - you're keeping me sane.

My writing group
I have joined a writing group and I love it. Why would a published author give up her precious time to discuss the creative writing process with someone like me? I don't know - but she does. I walked in a little nervous - does writing this blog qualify me for this group? I wrote a good story for my A-level English once, but that was 16 years ago and i've written little more than status updates since. Will I be found out? I don't even have an idea for a book - at least I didn't - not until my first writing group session. I still don't have an actual idea - but I now have the idea that I might have an idea. I'm not suggesting that my first novella will be available in Waterstones in time for Christmas - but it's definitely got me thinking.

The pork section in Spinneys
Ham? Bacon? Sausages? - don't mind if I do. I almost missed this cornucopia of pig based delights, as the pork section is hidden away in a special room in the back of the supermarket - a sort of 'porkeasy' if you will. The sign sayings 'non muslims only', and behind it was a hive of activity. Philipino and Western expats jostled for overpriced pork products, trolleys collided, a display of Spam tins took pride of place. Never have I lingered so long over a bacon selection. I'm thrilled to be able to ditch the beef bacon and turkey sausages - they were fooling no one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment