Wednesday 15 June 2011

Acclimatisation

When N and I left work this afternoon, we both remarked on how much cooler it was outside. It was 37.5 degrees. That was when I realised we'd become totally acclimatised. Literally.

It also struck me that I only really notice one example of dangerous driving a day now, and half the time I'm the perpetrator.

And I like to think I've hit a groove with my middle eastern wardrobe. Long skirts are going down very well with lady Arabs, as is the
Hermes scarf tied round my head (fake- natch) and the enormous Pucci sunglasses (genuine - when I got to the till at sunglasses hut, I was too proud to exclaim 'how much?!' and put them back). I like to think I've struck the right balance of east meets west meets shameless materialism. I'll take some pics and you can make up your own minds.

What I'll never get used to is the site of expat labourers toiling on building sites in the searing heat. Luckily I shouldn't have to now, as this week the summer working hours come in in Qatar. From 15 June to 31 August, workers on building sites and in open spaces should not have to work in the sun between 11.30am and 3pm. I'm not sure that many gang masters adhere to it though. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for law breakers, don't you worry.

This week has also seen office hours in my place of work reduce by an hour. Staff are free to go from 2.30pm. Imagine! I have to imagine, because I don't qualify. Unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment