Saturday 25 June 2011

Dinner

Last week we cooked at home every single night. It was a real first, and surprisingly comforting. Five months in, perhaps we're starting to make Qatar our home at last?

It was comforting because we cooked exactly what we would have cooked at home. However, we've still not quite got the kitchen fully kitted out, so
we've had to use the wrong utensils for everything. We've been serving noodle soup with a fish slice and eating ice cream out of mugs. It adds an extra dimension to meal times.

We celebrated our reaquaintance with the kitchen with a weekend long dining out extravaganza. On Thursday night we went to Fish Market. It's like a cross between a 'Fish restaurant' and a 'market'. We sat outside by the beach, which was nice, if a little steamy ('steam room' not 'Jackie Collins'). Because they don't bring a menu, N and I spent the first 45 minutes sitting hopelessly, wondering what we were supposed to actually do. I think it's a shame to scrap the menu, reading the menu is my favourite bit.

Apparently we were supposed to go to the 'market' to choose our fish and vegetables and advise the staff on how we wanted it cooked. But isn't that cheating? I don't know how I want my barracuda cooked. Perhaps we could get a professional in to make a few suggestions? Maybe make a note of them? On a piece of paper? With suggested side orders? You could hand it to the customer when they sit down? Like a sort of menu?

The whole two course experience took a gruelling three hours from start to finish, saved only by our lovely waiter, who did an admirable job filleting our fish in front of us at the table, confessing that this was the first time he'd done it. He'd been working there for 20 days he said. It appears time was dragging for all of us.

Yesterday we went to Ric's Kountry Kitchen on the other side of town. It's an American/Tex Mex style diner that does pancakes and huevos rancheros and cool sounding things like biscuit and gravy and grits. One day I'll try the biscuit with gravy, so far I keep chickening out. Last time I ate southern food, at a great place in New York, I was so ill from stodge poisoning, I've been put off for life.

N now thinks we've been black balled from Ric's after I kicked up a fuss about being charged for my extra jalapenos. 7 riyals (£1.30)? I only had three! I made them pack the rest of my jalapenos so I could take them home and get my money's worth. I'll be eating them with every meal for the forseeable future. Something's are worth standing your ground on I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment