Saturday 16 April 2011

Shoes and cars

I have thirteen pairs of shoes here now. How is that even possible? I didn't come out with anywhere near that number. In fact, I distinctly remember being proud of how few shoes I brought out, that I was travelling light. Then
I discovered Dubai, and all good intentions went to shit.
I've just returned from my second weekend in Dubai, both spiritually and financially poorer. I love it. On Thursday I managed a NINE hour shopping trip. I entered Dubai Mall at 11.45, had a cup of coffee, considered what shops I was going to stop in first, finished my coffee, wandered around a few shops, checked my watch and it was 9pm. I was flabbergasted.
Friday I had to lay by the pool all day reading and drinking juices to recover. And that's Dubai, and that's why I love it.

Back in Doha and we've made some headway in making our lifestyle a bit more sustainable. We swapped the Chevy Blazer for a Kia Sportage. It's tiny compared to our old brute, and has an engine with less than half the power, but what it lacks in size and oomph, it makes up for in engine noise and personality. While the Chevy was a gentle giant, mean looking, but a pleasure to drive, the Sportage looks cute, but is actually like a petulant toddler. It screams whenever you put your foot down, ignores you when you apply the brakes and resists all efforts to turn its steering wheel. It turned its headlights off tonight without my permission. But it's growing on me, partly because it's 25% cheaper than the old car, but also because when you're in it, you really feel like you're driving. You drag it round corners, screech to a halt, hold your breath at roundabouts as you hope the engine picks up some speed before that Landcruiser ploughs into you. It's thrilling.


Here it is. It may look whiter than white, but don't be fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment