Sunday 17 April 2011

Three months today

N and I have today celebrated our three month anniversary in Qatar. I marked the day by eating cereal for dinner and watching four episodes of Project Runway back to back. I thought N was celebrating with an extra long gym session, but after a short investigation,
I discovered he'd in fact been celebrating it with a three hour post work nap.  I've woken him up for dinner. I can hear him eating his cereal now.

It's a momentous occasion because three months was very much the mental barrier we set ourselves before we came out here. We were on three month probation with our new employer, and our time working on this contract in Qatar was only supposed to last three months. So being fatalists, we worked on the basis that right about now we would be fired and slung out of the country. With that in mind, we only rented our accommodation and car for three months, and my postal divert ended yesterday.

But we're still here.

Our contract in Qatar has been extended for another three months, I spoke to my boss today and he didn't mention firing us, the car hire has been extended and we sign a one year lease on an apartment tomorrow. It looks like we're staying.

So this opens a whole new world of questions that I don't entirely relish. What do we need to do to make this move long term? Do I need to rent out my flat in London? Should I ship out my coffee maker - or would it be cheaper to buy a new one (it is heavy)? Should I throw away my Boots Advantage card? Will it freak my bank out if I change my address to a PO Box in the desert? Can I get a parrot? How long do parrots even live? N says I can't get a parrot, but he also said I couldn't get an SUV or a three bedroom sea view apartment, and that he had no interest in getting married - so I think i'm going to take that as a yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment