Tuesday 25 January 2011

Doha sports correspondent

Tonight we went to see the semi finals of the Asian Cup - Uzbekistan being humped by Australia. It was at the new Khalifa stadium - which is beautiful. In both the stadiums we've been to they've had very strict seating plans - you can only enter through a certain gate, then you have to go to your allocated bay - but once you get to the correct section of the correct stand the 'spectator services' team totally lose interest and tell
everybody to sit wherever they like. I love it - I get to spend the rest of the match watching people arguing with people sitting in their seats - it's much more interesting than football.

On the way in to the match tonight I was interviewed by a TV crew - which was a bit embarrassing really.  I tried to explain I was English, not Australian - but they didn't seem to care. I then ended up doing the entire interview in an really plummy English accent. Don't ask me why.

Here is essentially what I said for those of you not watching the Qatar channel this evening:

Reporter - "Hello - where are you from?"
Me - "Oh, sorry, I'm English I'm afraid."
R - "What do you think about the game?"
M - "It's very exciting..."
Long - awkward silence. Reporter and I look at each other expectantly.
M - "I...err...well...i'm not sure where I'm sitting, so I'm not sure who I'll be supporting, the underdog I imagine..."
R - "OK. Thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment